The Great Commission
City North aims to help fulfil the Great Commission given to us by Jesus:
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8
At City North, we see ‘Jerusalem’ as being our local community, ‘Judea’ our state and nation and ‘the ends of the earth’ as overseas.
Mission to Our Local Community
From a South-East Queensland perspective, City North supports:
- John and Maria Tonga, pastoring a church for Indigenous people at Logan
- Sarah Erskine, chaplain at Wavell State High School
- Sandra Lyon, chaplain at Summerset State Primary School
- Chris McNaught, Scripture Union Field Development Manager – Brisbane North
- Farid and Parila, ministering in a multi-cultural community
- Mark and Mary Swinerton, Power to Change, Brisbane
Mission to Our World
City North supports a number of missionaries and other workers to spread the news of God’s love around the world:
- Ray and Cathy Busuttil, Mobiliser for ECM Australia and New Zealand, based in Sydney
- Greg and Jill Vine and family, serving with MAF in Uganda where Greg is a pilot
- Keith and Marion Birchley, training and equipping university students and graduates as Christian leaders in Papua New Guinea
- Paul and Jennie Minter and family, Wycliffe Bible Translators for dialects in Papua New Guinea
- Dave and Mary Lean and family, serving as a Paediatric Doctor in Papua New Guinea with World Medical Mission.
- Other workers – 3 families, serving in secure areas.
Mission Action Group (MAG)
Our Mission Action Group (MAG) meets regularly to:
- raise awareness of missionaries’ needs
- pray for and communicate with missionaries supported by our church
- formulate our missions budget
- challenge and encourage prospective missionaries, and
- educate and inspire other departments of the church about mission.