The Great Commission
City North aims to help fulfil the Great Commission given to us by Jesus:
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8
At City North, we see ‘Jerusalem’ as being our local community, ‘Judea’ our state and nation and ‘the ends of the earth’ as overseas.
Mission to Our Local Community
From a South-East Queensland perspective, City North supports:
- John and Maria Tonga, pastoring a church for Indigenous people at Logan
- Sarah Erskine, chaplain at Wavell State High School
- Chris McNaught, Scripture Union District Coordinator for North Brisbane.
- Farid and Parila, ministering in a multi-cultural community.
Mission to Our World
City North supports a number of missionaries and other workers to spread the news of God’s love around the world:
- Ray and Cathy Busuttil, heading up the Australian office of ECM in Sydney
- Shayne Rochfort, serving with OMS/Christian Outreach Centre in Thailand
- Sergii and Tanya Susidko and family, involved in church planting and preventing human trafficking in Ukraine with OMS
- Greg and Jill Vine and family, serving with MAF in Uganda where Greg is a pilot
- Other workers – 1 couple, 2 singles, serving in secure areas.
Mission Action Group (MAG)
Our Mission Action Group (MAG) meets regularly to:
- raise awareness of missionaries’ needs
- pray for and communicate with missionaries supported by our church
- formulate our missions budget
- challenge and encourage prospective missionaries, and
- educate and inspire other departments of the church about mission.